Thursday, August 26, 2010

Jean Paul Gaultier pour Roche Bobois



Monsieur Jean Paul Gaultier has collaborated with French furniture manufacturer Roche Bobois to curate a limited collection comprised of new designs as well as reinterpreted classics like the Mah Jong sofa, created by Hans Hopfer in the 1970's.

Jean Paul Gaultier, often referred to as enfant terrible of the fashion industry, is an undisputed heavy-hitter in the ephemeral world of couture, yet has had no formal training. He started creating collections for his mother and grandmother at age 13, by 17 he confidently sent a series of sketches to famed Parisian designer Pierre Cardin. The drawings impressed Monsieur Cardin enough to hire the young lad as an assistant. After only a few short years, J.P.G. launched his own line. The rest, as they say, is history.

After decades of pushing the design envelope in the fashion industry; introduction of the man skirt in 1985, Madonna's infamous cone bra costume in 1990, and corsets for men in 1997 Mr. Gaultier is the latest fashion designer to catwalk his way into the interior / furniture design field. The divide that once existed between the two industries seems to be shrinking at warp speed and I, for one, am excited to see what transpires.





















14 comments:

  1. Wow Scott, amazing designer of course and a man who does it his way!!

    I loved going into the Roche Bobois in La Jolla when I lived in San Diego.

    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOOVE JPG and this new collaboration....am re-arranging furniture now to make room for that folding screen-on-wheels and the Mah Jong sofa...in my mind at least. Thanks for sharing Scott!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that rolling cabnet in the bedroom.
    How clever,

    yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are truly amazing! Did you know he has a Diptyque fragrance, as well? Love! Your blog is fabulous, delighted to find it! I actually came over because I liked the name, and I adore the content here! Happy to be your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shari- You're too sweet. I did not know that he had a Diptyque fragrance -I'll have to check it out.

    Thanks, a million, for stopping by. I hope that you make it back again soon.

    All the best,
    s.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely brilliant. A man of many talents and inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still some times wonder why the man skirt never took off. Skirts are so much more comfortable than pants, and not uncommon for men in some Asian and African cultures.....

    Anyhow, love the "tatoos" on the cabinets and the white tables.

    Cheers,


    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know I'm supposed to be looking at the furniture - but CHECK OUT THAT LUGGAGE! Fabulous.
    -SF

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your blog...look forward to following :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. okay. thats it. i am officially obsessed with your blog. just found you. love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ashlina -I'm officially obsessed with anyone who leaves such a complimentary comment. Thanks for swinging by!

    s.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore this collection -- could visualize the low-slung sectional in a sort of all-encompassing family room, at once hosting rowdy kids and chicly-despondent parents.
    JPG has always been a star.

    Cheers, Alcira

    thenerochronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Subtle? No. Inspiring? Oui! Marvelous - and those silver barrel chairs have to be my favorite!
    -SF
    P.S. I'm hosting a Marc Jacobs jewelry give away - I hope you'll stop by! http://sfair.blogspot.com/2010/10/marc-jacobs-give-away.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. amazing pics! happy halloween!
    http://design-elements-blog.com/

    ReplyDelete