Thursday, February 5, 2009

Good Evening

Ann: "Aren't you starting a little bit early?"
Buddy: "It's Newport. We start at noon.

Although not a particularly good film, in my opinion- it's borderline Lifetime / Oxygen made for tv, "Evening" never lets me down when I'm in need of a visual pick-me-up. Despite the fact that the film was written by the great Michael Cunningham and is uncommonly star-studded; Claire Danes, Toni Collette, Vanessa Redgrave, Patrick Wilson, Hugh Dancy, Natasha Richardson, Meryl Streep, Glenn Close, and Mamie Gummer it lacks much depth. Hugh Dancy's beautiful portrayal of an emotionally wrought, sexually confused young man, Buddy, played second fiddle only to "the Ledges".

The home, built in 1865 for the Cushing family as a Summer retreat, is as stoic as any respectable WASP. The structure is beautifully preserved, and still a vacation home for the Cushing family- lucky family. I searched for more interior photos of the house to no avail. If you haven't all ready seen it, rent it today. I know you'll love it!

10 comments:

  1. I have never seen it...I am putting on Netflix right now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never even heard of it! I'll have to see it right away, i LOVE newport and would love to see it again(even if it's a crappy movie LOL).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a link to a New York Times article with a picture of the Cushings at home in their drawing room at the Ledges. The slide show that accompanies the article is worth a look.
    Couldn't agree with you more about the movie....lovely to look at, and numbingly dull, although I love Glenn Close's role as WASP matron. In the scene on the porch, greeting Ann, she nailed the type to perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. somehow I seemed to have missed this one when in was in the theatre . . . despite the fact that practically every actress that I live seems to be in it . . . lol.

    gonna pop it to the top of the netflix list

    thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the tip, scott! i'm following mr. bluehaunt's lead and netflix-ing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks BWemerson, I'll check it out.

    Paul, Tartan, & Mr. B. I'd love to hear a full report from each of you after you've seen it. Good day, boys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just watched the movie. You're right, the first hour of the movie is TOTALLY lifetime tv - AWFUL. But the house and the cinematography is AMAZING -so beautiful. The last half hour though, it all came together. The scene with Vanessa Redgrave and Meryl Streep talking in the bed at the end was so wonderful -i was SOBBING - literally. That house is pretty great, I LOVE newport! Have you been?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a great movie. I enjoyed the whole thing, and like others, found it very emotional!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Columnist - You're absolutely right, it is a very good and emotional movie. The most emotion stemming from Hugh Dancy. After having said that, it's impossible for me to ignore the "Lifetime t.v." aspect of the film, no matter how impeccably gorgeous the costumes, sets, and characters are.

    Thanks for the comment! Also, I peeked into your blog quickly as I've gotta jet off to work, but you can bet that I will be looking at it more in depth this evening. It looks fascinating!

    ReplyDelete